In the midst of getting our Kickstarter set up for May 20 I completely abandoned Bernie and spent all weekend in a painting class. It was a much needed mini vacation for me. It was intense and exhausting but I started the week with my mind refreshed. The class was taught by Sergio Calvo Rubio. If you don’t know the name and you’re a fan of painting miniatures you should check out his amazing works, I’m sure you will be inspired.
Last week we sculpted our foam base and I got a bunch of hexes glued down on the 4 quadrants. This week I worked on our decorative end-cap. We wanted to make the diorama break down into parts for travel, the priority being the actual play surface. We painted some apartment buildings long ago and they always attract people to our table at conventions, this will be the deluxe version. With that in mind, we wanted to make an add-on with buildings and scenery that was optional.
I’ve had an airbrush for a while but I could never seem to get it to work for me. I read all about how to use my airbrush, how to clean it, what consistency to get the paint (milk). I did have some success, well ONE success: base-coating my palm fronds for my Guild Ball Fisherman’s goal. Even then the resulting mess and frustration was hardly worth the effort. But in the back of my mind I know I need to learn this skill if for no other reason than to improve my horrible zenithal priming method.