I’ve been having a blast painting up our “Animals” prototypes. The light blue-grey non-metallic metal for the cybernetics provides a natural color contrast to the warm browns of Animal fur and feathers.
It’s been a while since I did a hobby update, and I promise I’ll get back to painting the new Pai sculpt and Jugger soon, but Bernie and I decided to take it easy for a couple weeks after our recent Kickstarter campaign. In the spirit of clearing my head and just having some low pressure fun I decided to work on a couple models from my growing “guilt” collection.
In the midst of getting our Kickstarter set up for May 20 I completely abandoned Bernie and spent all weekend in a painting class. It was a much needed mini vacation for me. It was intense and exhausting but I started the week with my mind refreshed. The class was taught by Sergio Calvo Rubio. If you don’t know the name and you’re a fan of painting miniatures you should check out his amazing works, I’m sure you will be inspired.
We’ve been working furiously to get everything ready for our Kickstarter launch date, May 20. Among the most important things we want to accomplish is our Tabletop Simulator mod so that people can try our game for themselves or playtest with friends and family around the world. The bare minimum is done, which just includes uploading all of our cards, mat, standees, and tokens. Now we want to make the experience of playing as painless as possible.
Our schedules are getting hectic as we get closer to summer and our Kickstarter campaign. I say that not just excuse myself for being a day late but also to excuse myself for not have anything very cohesive to write about. There are some projects I have been working on that fit into the WIP Wednesday theme: I have been porting our game to Tabletop Simulator, and I finally started painting our updated Pai sculpt.
We made huge progress last week, in the space of an hour the task of completing this board in time for Adepticon went from seemingly impossible to nearly accomplished. Unfortunately, the picture was a little deceptive, as always the Devil’s in the details. In order for the demo board to be useful we needed to make a bunch of terrain. We got a little head start last week with some 3-hex bushes but we wanted all the terrain required for the scenarios in the rulebook, and we wanted some variety.
Last week we sculpted our foam base and I got a bunch of hexes glued down on the 4 quadrants. This week I worked on our decorative end-cap. We wanted to make the diorama break down into parts for travel, the priority being the actual play surface. We painted some apartment buildings long ago and they always attract people to our table at conventions, this will be the deluxe version. With that in mind, we wanted to make an add-on with buildings and scenery that was optional.